Submit an absence online
Submit an absence using or attendance form below or use one of these other two methods.
Please be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today.
Please indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
FCPS staff will be responsible for contacting those parents/guardians who have not provided information as to why their student is absent. FCPS staff will also provide the school health team with information regarding any student that has remained home due to the above COVID like illness symptoms.
Students form important habits early, as they begin to develop responsibility to come to school on time and be prepared and ready to learn. Parents or guardians need to encourage good habits like sleep and eating and study habits so that students are ready to learn. Teachers, administrators, counselors, and other support professionals can help students adjust to routines, learn expectations, and develop academic and social competence.
Virginia requires that all children between the ages of five and eighteen be enrolled in school and attend on a daily basis. Any student who fails to report to school for a total of five scheduled school days (unexcused) for the school year may be referred to a school attendance officer for further action. When a referral is received, the school attendance officer will attempt to interview the student, parent, and other relevant parties to develop a plan to resolve the attendance issue. A student who is absent from school for 15 consecutive days or more is withdrawn from school and must officially register again upon his or her return to school.
Hunters Woods ES Parents or guardians should call the attendance line at 703-262-7474 or use the online attendance form on this page in the morning before attendance is taken, to let the school know of any tardiness or absence. Student attendance is checked daily at 9:30 a.m. We will communicate quickly with parents or guardians when a student does not come to school as expected. Parents should receive calls and emails within 30 minutes via an automated attendance calling system or by the school. Attendance will be checked daily for period and all-day absences at 4 p.m. In addition, attendance is reconciled at 4 p.m. Calls and emails follow at 7 p.m. via an automated attendance system or by the school.